Five of us spent a couple of nights in Sutherland last week. We went via Ceres and turned off just prior to Karoopoort to Sutherland. Of particular interest were the following sightings:
1) At the Doring River we heard a tapping and after some time discovered a female Olive Woodpecker furiously pecking at the base of a reed. Extremely unusual I would think.
2) 1 km further on towards Sutherland a beautiful Martial Eagle was standing on a rock.
3) A little further on we came across a Brown Snake Eagle on a telephone pole. We managed to get very close and had stunning views.
4) On the road from Sutherland up to SALT we came across 3 Ludwig's Bustards.
5) Twice we came across a pair of Karoo Korhaans.