We will again do our next quarterly big count in the various regions of the Overberg on 23 February. Remember that we try to establish how species diversity changes through different seasons throughout our region. We do this according to the Cornell Lab of Ornithology’s model for global big bird counts. Note that these counts can be done on Friday, Saturday or Sunday and that the co-ordinator for each region will make this decision depending on the weather and availability. You are also most welcome to count birds where ever you want to (such as in your garden) and send your list to me.
You can read more about the count during August 2018 at this link:
You can therefore pick and choose on where you want to participate – just confirm your participation with the co-ordinator. The contact details of the co-ordinators are as follows:
• Anton to do it on Saturday, weather permitting. Onrus, Vermont, Meer-en-See and the Karwyderskraal road: Anton at firstname.lastname@example.org or 082 550 3347
• The Rooisand to Rooiels region: Jenny Parsons at Jenny@pasgc.co.za or 083 448 2467
• Hermanus central – Fernkloof, cliff path, Prawn Flats, etc: Frank Spratt at email@example.com or 072 390 1210
• The Stanford area: Richard Masson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 082 890 8039
• The Gansbaai area: Riaan Jacobs at email@example.com or 082 373 8270
• Steve will do the Napier area on Sunday the 19th: Steve Peck at firstname.lastname@example.org or 081 817 3223
• The co-ordinators in the other areas to be confirmed
Kindly join us for this fun day and let us see how many species we can get on the day. Don’t forget to bring your friends and potential newcomers along – it is always a great learning experience.